Spicy Yabbies from our local dam
Yesterday my parents were down at our local dam with their nets catching yabbies. After a few hours they came home with a bucket full of fresh yabbies. Mum whipped up this delicious spicy yabby dish for us to snack on.
1 kg of yabbies from your local
2 tablespoon of oil
1 medium onion chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic chopped finely
3 tablespoon of oyster sauce
2 tablespoon of Sate chilli sauce (or to taste if you don’t like it too hot)
1/2 bunch of spring-onion chopped about 5cm in length (this dish uses mama’s home grown young spring-onion)
1. Purge your yabbies in water overnight, changing the water after 6 or 7hours.
2. When your ready to cook, put them in the freezer so they go to sleep while you start on the sauce.
3.Use a large wok to sauté the onions until brown.
4. Add the garlic to the wok, once the garlic starts to soften and you can smell the aroma add the oyster sauce and sate sauce into the pan, mixing it well and set aside.
5. Take the yabbies out of the freezer and give them a good rinse to remove any sand or dirt.
6. Cook the yabbies on a high heat for about 5-10 minutes or when they have all turned bright orange. Return the sauce back into the wok and it give it a good stir making sure all the yabbies are coated.
Serve with some cold beer!
About Lady Ricewild and organic Vietnamese cooking View all posts by Lady Rice →
This entry was posted in Home, Recipes and tagged forage, local, yabbies. Bookmark the permalink.